CONTACT: Franklin Dohanyos, Franklin Publicity, Inc.
NATIONAL POTATO CHIP DAY IS WEDNESDAY MARCH 14
* Better Made Snack Foods has new flavors available and encourages everyone to eat Better Made chips in celebration of America's #1 snack food
DETROIT, MI - Potato chips remain the largest selling segment of the salty snacks market with $6.8 billion in sales in 2010, as chip makers show the most willingness to develop new flavors to impress the young market. That's sure to increase as people all over the United States celebrate National Potato Chip Day on Wednesday, March 14! This is the day when people everywhere munch on America's favorite snack food, the thin, crispy potato chip. And what better way than to celebrate by indulging in the best tasting chips, made right here in Detroit by Better Made Snack Foods!
Potato Chips were first made in 1853 while Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt was on vacation in New York. While at the Moon's Lake Lodge, he kept sending his fried potatoes back to the kitchen because he said they were too thick and not crunchy enough. The chef, Native American George Crum, decided that he would cut them into paper-thin slices, boil them in oil, fry them, and salt them as a joke to the Commodore. It backfired as they became an instant success and the restaurant was well known for them!
"You can find all kinds of chips but we believe that nothing is better than Detroit's own Better Made brand," says Mark Winkelman, President of Better Made. "We've been perfecting our way of making great tasting chips for over 80 years and people love to eat them! We are encouraging people to send a case to a friend, family member, or someone in the military."
Founded in 1930 in Detroit as Cross and Peters, Better Made has developed and provided a wide variety of high quality award-winning snack foods, including flavored potato chips, potato sticks, gourmet popcorn, krinkle chips, rainbow chips, crunchy and kettle cooked chips, popcorn, pretzels, beef jerky, tortilla chips, puff stuff, pork rinds, a limited edition commemorative tin filled with one pound of mouth-watering original chips, wearables, and more! The family-owned company uses locally grown potatoes and trans fat-free cottonseed oil. For more information, please visit www.bettermadesnackfoods.com
. You may also follow Better Made on Facebook
. Michigan Made – Better Made, now featured at The Detroit Shoppe at Somerset Collection North!
FUN POTATO CHIP TRIVIA
* The average potato chip is between .04 and .08 of an inch thick.
* Approximately nine out of ten households in the U.S. consume at least one type of salty snack, with potato chips having the highest consumption level at 85%
* The first recipe for potato chips (called "fried shavings") appeared in Mary Randolf's Virginia House-Wife cookbook in 1824.
* Potato chips were declared an unessential food at the outset of World War II and production of them was completely halted for a time. It was only after a protest that the War Production Board reversed their decision.
* It takes approximately 10,000 pounds of potatoes to make 2,500 pounds of potato chips.
* Prior to mass distribution, potato chips were dispensed in bulk from barrels or glass display cases in grocery stores. Throughout the years, potato chips have been packaged in cans, paper bags, cellophane, plastic, aluminum foil and cardboard tubes.
* The average person eats the equivalent of 96 one-ounce bags of potato chips each year. That's equivalent to 6 pounds a year.